Why file a petition to rescind the suspension on DUI arrest?

Posted by John Callahan | Sep 30, 2016 | 0 Comments


If you have been arrested for a driving under the influence of alcohol charge in the past two weeks, you should know the action steps to take immediately following your arrest. As a driving under the influence of alcohol lawyer for the past 19 years, I have represented thousands of clients charged with driving under the influence of alcohol. The first and most important thing to do is to file a petition to attack the summary suspension. This is because 46 days after the DUI arrest,  your license will be suspended for anywhere between six months and three years depending upon whether or not you are a first offener.  By filing the petition, you give yourself the best chance to prevent the suspension from ever going into effect.

Whether the arrest took place in Schaumburg, Chicago, Arlington Heights or even in DuPage County,  the procedures remain the same.   Because the statutory summary suspension law is a state law, every county applies the same rules in how they process the driving under the influence of alcohol suspensions.    This means that rather than wait until the suspension is on your record, you should file the petition to contest the suspension immediately and begin a 30 day clock that works for you. This 30 day clock works against the prosecution and if the Secretary of State does not process the proper paperwork, the sheer fact you filed the petition early can set you up to win your suspension.

If you are looking to have a successful result with your DUI case, you should contact an experienced driving under the influence of alcohol lawyer to attack the suspension and to preserve your rights as soon as possible after your DUI arrest.  Feel free to call John W Callahan to discuss your DUI arrest if you have any questions at all.

Posted by DUI lawyer John W Callahan

About the Author

John Callahan

You never get a second chance to make a first impression. You may also never get a second chance to preserve your freedom if faced with criminal or DUI charges. If you are currently facing criminal charges, contact the law offices of John W. Callahan to protect you, your rights and your freedom. ...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment